Mausoleums
Moorhead mausoleum, 1862
Louis Morgenroth, architect
 
Section: 26 Lot: 1
 
The Moorhead mausoleum, which has underground crypts, was surely the grandest tomb in the Cemetery before the construction of the Ford mausoleum (Section 1) three decades later. It stood in splendid isolation, surrounded by a heavy stone fence as Gothic as itself. The style has an unusual fantasy about it, almost as if some imperial tent had been reproduced in sandstone. The Moorhead for whom this mausoleum was built appears to have been James Kennedy Moorhead, d. 1884, a Corporator of the Cemetery who was a Pennsylvania Canal operator, builder of engineering works, and president of the Monongahela Navigation Company, which canalized the river of that name.