Monuments
Charles Avery monument, 1860
L. Verhaegen (New York), sculptor
 
Section: 3 Lot: 1
 
A prominent, impressive monument, with wreaths and inverted torches notes the death of a man who, in effigy, looks very much alive. Avery was a Methodist minister who led the way in incorporating the Allegheny Institute and Mission Church, intended for the formal education of Blacks, in 1849. The Institute building survived in the heart of Dutchtown until its demolition c. 1970 for a road interchange. Avery was also a Cemetery Corporator and Manager.